Sunday, April 28, 2013

Horse Hair Tassels...

A while back ago I saw a Baggu bag. Now this was not just any Baggu bag but a collaboration bag...with Fredericks and Mae. What came of that collaboration was these. I loved the bag but I really fell for the tassel. So much so that I set to find out what else they had and ended up here. The website is sublime and what they sell is amazing but oh so off my price point. Then I started thinking...maybe I could try and make some of those tassels for myself. I searched all over the internet for a place that would sell horse hair. I emailed some friends that are super crafty asking them if they knew where I could find horse hair and I even called my landlord who lives in an area that is surrounded by horses. Everybody gave me numbers to call and so I did but to no avail. Nobody was selling horse hair. I was bummed but figured somebody surely was selling some somewhere. I researched the internet a little bit more and found a link to a Martha Stewart DIY post regarding a horsehair tassel. Now this was not the kind of tassel I was looking to make but with the post came a link to where to buy horsehair and I happily clicked. I had finally found my horse hair which I happily bought. I made my first horse hair tassel and it looked ok but not amazing like I had dream of it being. So I put away everything and just kind of forgot about it until I showed the tassel to a friend at work two weeks ago. She told me it was nice and that she would buy one from me if I ever made more. Funny how things happen. I ended up picking back up my horse hair and trying to figure out how to make them look amazing. I even dyed one of them and in the process ended up with red fingers for a week. Since then I've had three friends ask me to make them one and I've happily obliged.

These are the ones I've made so far.





Below are the most recent ones. I've decided to make these with solid brass lobster claps.


They are in the shop as of now. Please note that they will all be different and unique so if you go ahead and order one please do no expect them to look exactly like these, unless you request it. Also, let me know if you have any color preferences and I will try an work with them. I will be ordering more horse hair as I have run out in natural and brown this week. I will update the website when they come in.

Here are the specs:
  • Size is approx. 8 1/2" x 1 for tassel only
  • Handmade
  • Split key ring is 1"
  • Lobster clasp is approx. 3" long
Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

A.

- Update:
Hi everyone! The hair has come in. I now have natural and brown. Will start working on these...

2 comments:

  1. i'm telling you i am obsessed with my tassel. i feel so fortunate and honored that you would make one for me! thank you so much. you are amazing and your work is impeccable!
    thank you thank you thank you!
    xoxo,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea. That is very sweet of you. I'm so happy you like it! It was my pleasure to make one for you. :)

    ReplyDelete