Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Breakfast.







Is there any other way to start the New Year than with a delicious breakfast? I think not but then again if I'm wrong I'm sure you'll let me know. So we decided do go ahead and make ourselves some Overnight French Toast and what can I say...? Probably one of the best ways to start the New Year. Here's the recipe (that I've borrowed from Parade Magazine) for your own to use should you decide you want to try something new.





Overnight French Toast

Ingredients:
12 (3/4 inch think) slices French or challah bread (I used some Como bread that I had purchased from Vons)
6 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup, plus more for topping
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
Confectioners' sugar
Fresh fruit

Directions:
1. Arrange bread in a buttered baking dish. (The recipe calls for a 9-by-13-inch dish but I went for something smaller to make sure the bread slices were all snugged together)

2. In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Pour over bread. Turn over the slices making sure that they are all covered with the egg mixture and re-arrange the slices once that is done. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.

3. In the morning, bake in a preheated oven at 400 F for 15 minutes. Turn dish 180 degrees and bake for an extra 20 minutes or until golden brown.

4. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm with fresh fruit, maple syrup and some whipped cream. Enjoy!!

I'm including the link to the original recipe for those of you who would like to see it.

Overnight French Toast

No comments:

Post a Comment